The Product Development Engineer will design and develop fiber optic connectors, connector components and connector processes. Develop, plan, and coordinate projects and technical aspects of fiber optic connector/ferrule customer requirements through direct involvement with Applications Engineering and Sales.
* Design and develop multi-fiber optical connectors.
* Develop strategic supplier relationships as appropriate
* Plan and coordinate projects for each new product assigned including scheduling of resources and status reports
* Maintain a high level of expertise in the following areas: fiber, cable, PCB and TX/RX connectors, connector installation, testing, and troubleshooting.
* Prepare all specifications, documents and forms necessary to transfer products to manufacturing, marketing, and sales.
* Prepare conference papers on new technology or products.
* Provide technical assistance as required by Marketing, Sales, and Manufacturing groups.
* Maintain documentation for possible patent submission.
* Act as a focal point for all technical issues on fiber, cable, connectors, hardware and system performance for Marketing and Sales Groups.
* Propose new product ideas to add to current product line.
* Personal Computers
* Software packages: MS Excel, MS Word, CAD
* Optical test equipment, microscopes, Surface Profiler, Interferometer, environmental chambers, optical fiber termination equipment
* Optical modeling and finite element analysis
Education and Skill Required:
* BS in technical or engineering field
* 5+ years previous work experience in fiber optic industry or communications systems (This can include cooperative education programs.)
* Fundamental working knowledge of computers to include word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet or database programs
* Statistical Analysis
* Background in optics and optical modeling and Zemax experience is required.