About the Job
Type: Full Time
Category: Data Center
Location: Edison, New Jersey
This is a second level position in the engineering department. The engineer in this position should have a wealth of experience engineering/installing datacenter equipment. The engineer will typically take on the more complex work and pull all aspects of a job together into a cohesive package. This would include the complete engineering of data centers including, but not limited to, infrastructure, overhead and underfloor racking, cabinets, network and server equipment, cable distribution, power (AC or DC), Cold Aisle Containment solutions, etc.
Desired Skills include:
- Datacenter planning design
- Familiarity with commonly used Data center materials and equipment for physical plant engineering
- Bill of Material and quote development
- Familiarity with Cold Aisle Containment engineering and design
- BICSI standards
- Some Project Management in relation to Data Center deployments
- Adept with Microsoft suite of applications
- AutoCAD a plus
High School diploma is necessary. Some college or technical school a plus. At least 3 years engineering experience or equivalent field experience in a data center environment
BICSI certifications a plus, but not necessary
An advanced understanding of various software packages including MS Word, spreadsheet/database programs such as MS Excel, MS Access
Ability to quickly learn customer engineering databases and software.
Must be able to handle multiple tasks and priorities and must be able to consistently work under and meet strict deadlines.
Must possess good leadership, verbal, and written communication skills.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex of documents, including technical specifications, white papers, data center drawings and documents.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
Ability to write engineering specifications.
- work independently on deadline sensitive jobs or projects with little direction
- read and understand site survey data, able to think through the information presented and quickly put together a bill of material with little guidance.
- schedule, perform, and write-up site surveys when necessary
- develop Bill of Materials and Firm Price Quotes
- write complex data center specific engineering specifications which will include in
- fix engineering problems and mistakes. Understands change order procedures and material billing issues.
- Manage several engineering projects simultaneously
- proficient with updating customer drawings and databases
- takes an active role in teaching detail engineer procedures and philosophies of engineering.
- regularly interfaces with customer representatives (field engineers, data center managers, data center technicians, local construction contractors, etc.
- Should be at level where can solve customer problems issues with limited guidance
- interface with “internal customers” such as field engineers, installation supervisors, lead installers, and installation techs. Guides detail engineer through problems and situations with “internal customers”
- fully understand format and structure of an engineering specification.
- working knowledge of equipment drawings, T-BASD drawings, and material spec sheets and white papers. Also has ability to seek out information not readily available
- fully adept at drafting and updating customer drawings and using drafting programs such as VISIO and AUTOCAD
- often will initiate site visits and site surveys. Visit site when necessary to solve problems
- able to engineer jobs using a full understanding of customer quality documents such as Installation Practices, Engineering Practices, BICSI standard documents, etc…
Engineering Skills and Reasoning Ability:
- Ability to logically think through the process of telecommunication installation and engineering.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical specifications in order to translate such information into a detailed engineering spec. Ability to apply principles of logic to a wide range of intellectual, technical, and practical problems.
- Ability to use common engineering tools effectively such as a tape measure, calculator, power lead calculator, etc.
- The employee will be required to use his/her hands 90% of the time to type, write, and handle paperwork.
- The employee will be sitting at a desk 80% of the time with walking between offices and other work areas from time to time. At times, employee is required to make customer visits to resolve problems or provide customer service.
- The employee may, from time to time, be required to lift weight (i.e., paper boxes) up to 15 pounds.
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) is generally required, as the employee will be working at a computer and working with files & paperwork.
About CBM of America, Inc.:
CBM of America, Inc. (CBMA), has been an innovator and niche provider of Network Solutions and Custom Network Products for the Telecom Industry for over 20 years. We specialize in networking products and solutions that provide seamless IP migration of legacy protocol interfaces, such as BX25 & X25. We are experts in mediating legacy protocols to IP based networks for Central Office network element connections such as AT&T 5ESS, Siemens EWSD, Nortel DMS, Fujitsu FLM, Lucent DDM, Tekelec, and for Lucent BNS/VCS Datakit networks.
CBM also provides nation-wide high quality engineering and installation services for infrastructure build-outs and equipment pre-configuration/racking and stacking services in the Wireless & Wireline Central Office, MTSO, and Data Center environments.